Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Rare Treasure

What young girl doesn't dream of the day she'll meet a wonderful man, fall in love and get married? She imagines married life to be a life filled with a man who adores her. This quote sums up what nearly every girl would love to hear:
"I dreamed of a wedding of elaborate elegance; a church filled with flowers and friends. I asked him what kind of wedding he wished for; he said one that would make me his wife." -- Author Unknown
**Sigh** Too often, though, that wedded bliss turns sour and that poor girl is left brokenhearted, lonely and empty. What happened? My answer is that often our focus is on what we want in a husband instead of what we need to be as his wife.

I mentioned recently that our ladies' Bible study this month is "Having a Heart for your Husband." Day one took us to Proverbs 31:10-31. Because this is a familiar passage I decided I would carefully study one verse each day this month and ask the Lord to bring out the truths that I need to understand. Some of my thoughts may not stand up in a Greek lesson, but these are the very simplistic things the Lord has brought to my heart as I've studied.

Verse 10 - "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." I am reminded that an excellent woman is hard to find; she's rare. You don't see her character in every woman you pass at Walmart or sit beside on an airplane. No, she is a rare treasure.

One has to go to the end of the chapter to find out how she became this way. Verse 30 says that "a woman that fears the Lord, she shall be praised." Because she has a genuine fear of God - an awesome view of Him, her character is different. He changes her perspective on her family, on her time, her money, her words, and her witness. Because she has a fear of God she doesn't just plod through her marriage doing her own thing; she digs into her Bible to find out what her responsibilities are. She seeks to know and obey what God says in His Word and she stays after it so she will be an excellent woman.

Do we really know what the Bible says to women? Are you and I studying God's Word so we know how to act, how to talk, how to be a godly woman in a world that belittles womanhood? It's the only way we'll become a rare treasure. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone read verse ten over Proverbs 31 and then said, "I know where you can find a woman like that! She's at my house!"

No comments: