Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Birthday Traditions

Today is a special day at our house because it's someone's birthday - my husband's. Birthdays are big events for our family. The morning always starts with breakfast in bed for the honoree, and they get to choose the menu. This morning it is Mini Sausage and Egg Casseroles, coffee cake and fresh fruit. I bought a bed tray years ago to help minimize disasters of having a bed-full of breakfast! It also has openings on the sides to stick cards and small gifts. We pull out the china, crystal and a pretty cloth napkin so breakfast is served in style! The girls in the family usually have fresh flowers added to the tray as well.

Cards and gifts are opened after breakfast and the day of celebrating has only begun! We have a birthday mug for coffee, and on my last birthday I received a birthday plate for cake.

When the girls were growing up they got to choose what the supper menu was, and of course what kind of cake they wanted. They didn't have to do chores on their birthday - a special privilege. They were the ones to go out and get the mail on "their" day, so they could retrieve the cards that were waiting on them.

Birthdays are great days to let our family members know how special they are! Having said that, let me say how thankful I am to have celebrated 29 of Dale's 51 birthdays. God gave me a treasure in my godly husband and I know how blessed I am.

Does your family have any traditions for birthdays? What do you do to make it a special day?

Off to celebrate,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so refreshing to see some decent blogs out there...and yours tops my list.
Thanks for sharing, and greetings from Canada.

Wren
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Journey_Back_in_Time

Denise said...

Thank you, Friend, for your encouragement! You have refreshed ME today!