Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Heart for Discipline - part 3

Have you learned yet to have a love for discipline? If we were honest we'd all probably agree that this is the virtue we love to hate. But as we have been reminded this week, we must do the hard things that will create the beauty God wants to bring into our Christian lives. Steps one and two were: Daily time and Daily walk. Today we move to the last two points in having a life of godly discipline.

3. Daily desire. Proverbs 31:30 - Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. This is where the desire comes in. There is a place in our lives for fearing the Lord. It's our worshipful attitude towards Him. Do we really desire God's best? Where do we really fall on the desire scale? Anne Ortland said, "I really do have a fear. I long to grow more godly with each passing day. Call it the fear of the Lord - being in awe of Him, scared to death of anything that would mar my life at this point." This is the desire we need to have in our walk with God.

A woman after God's heart must be like a tea pot on the fire! You know it's there. You hear it, you see it. It's jumping up and down! The lid is rattling. Smoke is coming out of it! That's got to be us and our desire, so when people see us they see a passionate desire to walk with God and get as close to Him as we can.

4. Daily commitment - Romans 12:1 - I beseech you therefore, brethren by the mercies of God that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God which is your reasonable service. This daily commitment is giving all that you are and all that you have to God. You do it now and you give it to Him forever, and daily is the key. We need to be reminded every single day of this commitment. Every day you need to give God your life all over again. It isn't yours, it is His. Give Him your body, your health, your husband. We must pry our fingers off of our loved ones lives and let God do with them as He desires.

Elizabeth shared with us the example of when her husband Jim went into the ministry. She felt like she never saw him. At first she was resentful of this, but then the Lord showed her she must give her Jim to God to be used as God would choose. She said, "Lord help yourself to my husband's life. Take him and let him spend His time with whomever You would desire."

Each day we must pray for each of our children and ask God to do whatever He needs to do to draw them to Himself. F. B. Meyers said, "Every day make an audible commitment to God. 'Lord, I give this day to You.'"

Betty Stam (pictured below) and her husband John, were missionaries in China under the China Inland Mission. Their life of commitment cost them their lives, their marriage, and their ministry (in human terms). Here was her prayer as they headed to China, knowing what the risks were:

"Lord, I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept thy will for my life. I give myself, my time, my all utterly to thee to be thine forever. Fill me and seal me with thy Holy Spirit. Use me as Thou wilt. Send where thou wilt. Help yourself to my life at any cost, now and forever . Amen and amen."

That was a huge commitment that cost Betty her physical life, but I know that she would tell us it was worth it. Oh, that we would each be able to make that commitment to our great God, because He is worth it!

No comments: