Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Wise Tongue and Listening Ears

Isaiah 50:4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. This verse has been my prayer in recent days. No, let me restate that - it has been my heart's cry in recent days.
Do you ever come to the place where you realize that you have nothing of value to say? I am becoming more and more aware of that truth every single day, and hence, I've pleaded with the Lord to give me the tongue of the learned so I can speak a word in season (at the right time) to him who is weary. I didn't realize that He would at the same time give me the "ears of the learned to hear" what He wanted to say to me.


Last week I spoke a word out of season and it caused friction. I chafed under the strain I caused. The conviction of the Spirit was at work in my heart and it was not pleasant. After making it right with the Lord and those I'd sinned against, a bright light turned on as the Spirit of God spoke to my heart. It was time to listen and have the ears of the learned. The conviction of speaking a word out of season was God answering my prayer about my speech. How often I share what I'm thinking or feeling when it would be better to keep it to myself! Proverbs 17:27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
While I have prayed for a wise tongue, I just assumed that Lord would help me to have the right words to say - I didn't think about how He would strongly convict me when I was using words that were sinful and hurtful instead. I've learned that God answers our prayers differently then we think He's going to, but it's always the right way. I've learned that wise words are sometimes no words at all. This isn't an easy lesson and I'm sure I'm only at the beginning of learning this, but I continue to ask God for the tongue of learned...and for ears to hear and heed His correction.

2 comments:

hkeels said...

Thank you Denise for sharing your heart. I believe a humble heart is exactly what pleases our God.

matlock626 said...

I praise God for your humble heart and for the time you take of yourself each day to post these. I cannot speak for others but God has used you mightily to teach me more of Himself and how to be a godly pastor's wife. I love you and I am praying for you as lead so many women!