Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2009

What's Cookin' in someone else's Parsonage?

I've mentioned here before that I have an identical twin sister. We share many things in common - one of them is a love for cooking! She's a great cook, baker, and hostess. I've asked her to be my guest today and share with you, not only a recipe, but also her recipe blog.

Dianne writes:
What a special honor to be a guest on my sister’s blog! Interestingly enough, as identical twins, we are both pastor’s wives, we both live in parsonages, and we both enjoy cooking and having guests in our home. Our parents fostered a love for the Lord in all three of us girls, and our mother fostered a love for cooking for our families. Mom made ordinary days special and special days even more special—and she still does that to this day. Dinner after church was always a special meal served on the china and placed alongside a cloth napkin. I thought that was how everyone ate on Sundays. I learned differently as time went on.

You don’t have to have wealth or fine things to make dinner time special. What matters is sharing a meal with family and friends and time spent around the table after dinner talking and laughing. With an empty nest now, Sundays are very different for me and my husband. We now pastor in a congregation that is very connected to their family so we are often invited to gather at their table which is a joy. Occasionally, I have the privilege of cooking for guests on Sundays. Some days, like today, it is just me and my husband. But in “Mom-fashion” I try to make dinner as special for the two of us as it would have been had I had guests.

Something about sitting at the dining room table encourages lingering and conversation. So I encourage you to make Sundays special. By the way, Denise and I also have something else in common—we both have a blog. If you’re looking for a special recipe, I invite you to visit my blog:
http://diannesrecipebox.blogspot.com/ Who knows? Maybe Denise can be my first guest blogger!

Here’s what was on our table today:

Elegant Chicken Rolls (recipe follows)
Rice Pilaf
Cole Slaw
Green Beans
Wheat Bread from the deli
One-Bowl Mocha Cake

Elegant Chicken Rolls
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 ounces each)
4 ounces cream cheese softened
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
2 T. fresh basil leaves snipped
1/2 t. coarsely ground black pepper
6 T. sweet roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
1 1/4 c. seasoned croutons, grated ((1 cup crumbs)
1 egg1 T. milk
12-18 large spinach leaves
6 ounces thinly sliced deli smoked ham

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Butterfly cut each chicken breast half by inserting tip of knife into thickest side of chicken then cutting lengthwise through middle of breast, almost through to the other side. Spread chicken breast open flat. Place each chicken breast between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Flatten chicken to 1/4 inch alternating pounding and rolling.
2. In small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, feta, basil and black pepper; set aside. Chop red peppers and drain on a paper towel. Place croutons in a plastic storage bag and finely crush. Combine egg and milk in another small mixing bowl.
3. For each chicken roll, cover chicken breast with single layer of spinach rolls, about 2 tbsp of the cheese mix, 1 tbsp of the red peppers and then one slice of the ham. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion,
4. Dip rolls in egg mixture then in crumbs. Place seam side down in a baking dish and bake for 35 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing, Dianne! I hope you'll check out her blog and try her chicken or cake recipe. You won't believe it, but the cake recipe was found on Cooking Light. It is the most moist decadent chocolate cake you'll eat...and hey, since it's light you can have two pieces! =)

What did you have for dinner on Sunday?

No comments: