Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2009

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

One of my life's most embarrassing moments happened at someone else's Sunday dinner table. A dear lady invited our family over and served your "typical Sunday roast" for dinner. It was typical in that the roast was a bit on the dry side; the way it gets when the roast is in the oven because the preacher has preached too long! My daughter, Allison, was only about five or so at the time. She took a bite of the roast and said loud enough for our hostess to hear, "Mom, this is hard meat!" Children are honest! She said what the rest of us were thinking, but oh, how humiliating it was! I offered some lame excuse for her remark along with my apologies, but I've never forgotten that day and how awful I felt! I have a hunch our hostess never forgot it either!

A friend of mine gave me her recipe for roast and it is truly delicious and unlike the typical "hard meat" kind of roasts! Here's the picture of the roast I cooked yesterday before I put it into the oven.

I put the carrots in the bottom of the dish, then put the roast on top. I then sprinkled a packet of Lipton Onion soup over the roast. Then I opened a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup and spread it over the roast just like I was icing a cake. I added about 1/2 cup water and put the roast in the oven at 300 degrees (covered with foil) for 4 1/2 hours. The soups create a gravy for the roast that is perfect and needs nothing - no flour or seasoning!
I failed to get a picture of my finished roast yesterday, but it was so tender and delicious. I served it with the carrots, mashed potatoes, green beans, cooked apples and toasted French bread. That's comfort food at its easiest! The good part is that there's enough roast and mashed potatoes left over to have hot roast beef sandwiches one night this week!
Do you have an embarrassing food moment with your children? I'd love to hear about it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can also do that roast in the crock pot. Completely enclose it in aluminum foil, put it in the crock pot and cook on low approx. 8 hrs. Yummy! Do it exactly the same way. Except put it in the crock pot.

Tami's Blog said...

I love your blog! I read it every day! :) Keep it up!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've tried and tried to make a roast that is not dry or shoe leather...I'm gonna try this...why cut of meat do you use, and how many pounds?

Thanks!