Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

What's Cookin' in the Parsonage?

One of the (many) blessings of the empty nest is the opportunity to change plans abruptly. I had put a small chicken casserole in the oven before leaving for church. I set the oven timer so it would bake and be ready at 12:45 and then turn off. When we left church after the chrch service my husband turned in the opposite direction of our house. "Where are you going?" I asked. "I thought we'd just go to Bob Evans today since we're not having company and it's just the two of us." Well, twist my arm! Off we went. We enjoyed a delicious meal together. (Guess what we're having for dinner tonight? The blessing is, it's all ready!).

Even though we didn't have lunch guests yesterday, I did have an overnight guest, so I made Cranberry Muffins on Saturday evening so I'd have a simple breakfast to serve before we left for Sunday school. These were a new recipe to me, but I've learned that I can trust my Cooking Light Cookbook, and I wasn't disappointed. Matt, our guest, liked them too, so I'll give this recipe a 5 star!

The only change I'll make the next time I make them is to add a little bit more cranberries - maybe 1/2 cup more. I like a muffin full of goodness! I also added about 1/4 cup orange juice to add the the orange flavor. I sprinkled the tops with crystalized sugar. It makes muffins pretty and adds a nice little sweet crunch to the top. Thanksgiving week would be a good time to try this recipe! Enjoy!

What was cookin' at your house on Sunday?

No comments: