Search This Blog

Monday, November 2, 2009

What's Cookin' In the Parsonage?

Yesterday's menu:
Lemon-Greek Chicken w/carrots and potatoes
Fresh Green Beans
Broccoli Salad
Herbed Biscuits
I did a lot of prep on Saturday which included:
  1. making the broccoli salad
2. baking the apple dumplings (I made them earlier in the week and froze them unbaked).
3. peeling and paring the potatoes for the chicken dish. I placed the potatoes in a bowl of water and left them on the counter overnight.
4. mixing up the herb mixture for my chicken dish.
5. cooking the fresh green beans.
6.. setting the table
When I got home from church all I had to do was bake the biscuits and warm up the green beans. Here's the food set out buffet style. I think serving buffet is easier for a group of more than five. I also feel like it makes the guests feel a little less awkward than if they were passing a heavy dish around.


Here are the apple dumplings (a new recipe to me...why do I always do this when I'm having company?!). When I served them I warmed them a bit, placed a scoop of praline ice cream beside the dumpling and then poured the warm caramel sauce over top of the both the dumpling and the ice cream. Pretty yummy and it makes for a nice presentation.


We were honored to have David and Rachel Fisher join us,

as well as their daughter and son-in-law (our music minister). The beautiful centerpiece was a gracious hostess gift from the Fishers. How thoughtful!

Allison's no guest, but it was great having her home for the weekend. She was really happy to hear what I was making for Sunday dinner because this chicken is one of her favorites!

Lemon-Greek Chicken
2 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbl. olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
2-3 tsp. dried oregano leaves
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
2 medium baking potatoes
1 medium red bell pepper, but into 1-inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
8 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
4 split (bone-in) chicken breast halves (I usually use a cut-up fryer)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees (to bake this on Sunday I put it in a 300 degree oven when I left for church). Combine lemon zest, juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper; set aside. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges; place in 9 x 13 pan. Add bell pepper, onion, mushroom, and half of the lemon juice mixture; toss to coat. Place chicken on top of vegetables; brush with the remaining lemon juice mixture. Bake 1 hour or until chicken is no longer pink in the center, brushing chicken and vegetables with pan juices after 30 minutes.
I added baby carrots today and that gave another good vegetable to the meal. I cover the dish with foil when it's going to bake that long.
Herbed Biscuits (these are a great quick biscuit)
3 tbl. butter or marg., melted
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1 package refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pour butter into a 8" or 9" cake pan; tilt pan to evenly coat bottom of pan. Sprinkle evenly with herbs. Separate dough into biscuits. Place cheese in small bowl. Add biscuits; turn to coat both sides. Arrange in single layer in cake pan; sprinkle with any remaining cheese. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Invert onto serving plate; serve warm.

We had a great time sharing a meal and visiting with our guests today. I love having guests over on Sunday - it's just such a blessing. If you haven't invited someone over in a while, do a dish like this chicken dish with chicken, potatoes and carrots, add a simple salad and even a Pepperidge Farm Cake and you'll have a great meal to share!
What did you have for Sunday dinner? Did you eat out, eat at home, have guests over? Do tell!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

I am going to make that broccoli salad...I get so tired of green beans and corn. Thanks!

The apple dumplings look so pretty! =)

Christina said...

We had Ethan's favorite...Beans and Cornbread w/ onions at the Cracker Barrel (Our treat when Mammaw and Pappaw aren't around since we usually eat with them!)

hkeels said...

The dinner looked great! Wish I was there :).....I will try that Broccoli salad. Thanks for the recipe.