Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

Moonless Seas

Of my heroines in the faith, two would be Elisabeth Elliot and Amy Carmichael. I have a copy of Elizabeth's devotional book entitled, Keep a Quiet Heart. For years I have reviewed it and always been encouraged by her teaching. Today let me share one of my favorite entries from her book in which she quotes Amy Carmichael. The entry reads:

"Some of you are perhaps feeling that you are voyaging just now on a moonless sea. Uncertainty surrounds you. There seem to be no signs to follow. Perhaps you feel about to be engulfed by loneliness. There is no one to whom you can speak of your need. Amy Carmichael wrote of such a feeling when, as a missionary of twenty-six, she had to leave Japan because of poor health, then travel to China for recuperation, but then realized God was telling her to go to Ceylon. (All this preceded her going to India, where she stayed for fifty-three years.) I have on my desk her original handwritten letter of August 25, 1894, as she was en route to Colombo.
'All day long, let us remember we are not asked to understand, but simply to obey...On July 28, Saturday, I sailed. We had to come on board ton Friday night, and just as the tender (a small boat) where were the dear friends who had come to say goodbye was moving off, and the chill of loneliness shivered through me, like a warm love-clasp came the long-loved lines--'And only Heaven is better than to walk with Christ at midnight, over moonless seas." I couldn't feel frightened then. Praise Him for the moonless seas-all the better opportunity for proving Him to be indeed the El Shaddai, the God who is Enough.'"


If you're traveling on moonless seas today, remember that He is with you to guide you in the darkness and lead you to the next place He wants you to be. "When you get to the place where you find there's nothing left but God, you will find that He is enough."

No comments: