Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Your Turn To Encourage

How long have you been reading this blog? If it's only a couple of days or weeks, I thank you. Some have followed my posts from the beginning over a year ago. I pray you've been encouraged, even if in a small way. Today is your turn to encourage someone else. Let's help bear another person's burden (boulder). Read on to find out how.

Yesterday's post was a "hard question" answered. Following the post, in the comment section, a dear friend posed another hard question. I'll save you the time of going to it by telling you what she asked. Her was her question:

I'm struggling with how to help my cousin. She was saved a few months ago and of course, her life is completely different. She is, after all, a new creation. Her husband has decided he doesn't want to be married and wants a divorce. She is heartbroken. I'd love to hear what scriptures my sisters in Christ would suggest to help her during this difficult time.

This is a question posed to you - this lady's sisters in Christ. Get out your Bible and answer her here. Even if you've NEVER made a comment on a blog before, please take the time to encourage Vickie. I thank you in advance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proverbs 3:5&6

Whitney said...

Watching someone you love go through heartbreak is, in turn, heartbreaking for you. I would encourage Vickie to pray Psalm 119:74-77 for her cousin.

74 Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,because I have hoped in your word.
75 I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous,and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your mercy come to me, that I may live; for your law is my delight.

Most of the time, people don’t need to be preached at when they are going through a trial. I’ve found the best thing I can do for a hurting friend is just offer a hug and the promise to pray for them (and then really do it!). Since her cousin is a young Christian, she may not be able to look back over her life and see how God has been faithful. I would encourage her to read 2 Chronicles 20, where God’s faithfulness against huge odds is displayed.

v12: “For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You."

The passage from Psalms (above) talks about God’s promises to His servant. She needs to see God’s promises that can’t be broken (love, faithfulness, kindness, compassion).

Encouraging someone to reflect on God’s promises can’t help but encourage your heart, too!