Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Crumbs in My Siverware Tray

The memory is from many years ago, but it was one of those moments that has lodged itself into my mind and pops up frequently. My mom was visiting in our home and was helping with supper preparations. She opened the silverware drawer to get a needed utensil and then I heard her say in disgust, “Denise, there are crumbs in your silverware tray!” How embarrassing! I hadn’t noticed them, but it was obvious that they were there and that they were disturbing upon discovery.

How do crumbs get in the silverware tray? I mean you’re not eating when you open the drawer because you need the silverware in order to eat…so where do they come from? Clean silverware is placed here and it should be kept clean! The tray got emptied and cleaned out and is now checked on a regular basis. A lesson was learned – check the silverware tray often and especially before Mom visits!

The reason that finding crumbs in the drawer is disturbing is because they are not supposed to be there! As I think on this scene I am reminded of areas in my spiritual life where the Lord reveals to me things that are in my heart that should not be there – an attitude that displeases Him, a sharp tongue, a critical spirit or discontentment. As it is revealed to me my initial response is often, “Where did that come from? That’s not supposed to be there! What’s worse is that the things that are in my heart will eventually come out in my words. Luke 6:45 says “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil; for of the abundance of the heart this mouth speaketh.” Yes, those attitudes that the Lord reveals to me have also made their way out my mouth! James tells us in chapter 3 verse 10 “Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.” Do you know what he’s really saying? You have crumbs in your silverware tray! Your heart has clean and dirty things in it, and this is not supposed to be! Praise the Lord for the cleansing of I John 1:9 when I confess and God cleanses and forgives me. The “silverware tray” gets wiped out and I’m in fellowship with God again.

Have you opened the drawer lately and let the Lord show you what’s really there? Not a pretty sight, is it? There’s really no shame in the crumbs’ discovery, only the neglect of cleaning them out once you find them. It’s not your mom who is looking; it’s our loving God that sent His Son to die so we might have our sin forgiven. The wash water of His Word does wonders!


A little side note about the scene with my mom – she doesn’t even remember finding the crumbs, but it’s become a funny thing between us. If nothing else, it’s taught me to be more careful in my home and in my heart!

Now, go check your silverware tray – you know you’re curious! Please tell me you found crumbs there!

4 comments:

Whitney said...

just last night I took out the last fork from the fork slot and was soooo disgusted with all the junk in my silverware tray!!! how DO they get there???

Mildred Ray said...

Okay Denise, the whole world knows you have a discerning Mother now! That was terrible of me, but since I did that, I am very careful to keep my own tray clean, in fact I'd better go check it out.

Dianne said...

Crumbs? What crumbs?

Anonymous said...

My mom is an expert at finding extra dirt! I can wear myself out cleaning and she always finds something dirty. It used to drive me nuts but now I just let her get her jollies cleaning what ever she wants to!